May 13th, 2020
Alston Zecha is a Director at Eight Roads - a global VC who’ve invested $6bn in the past 12 years.
Formerly with Apax Partners, Alston also founded & led the mobile payments venture Payleven who merged with SumUp 5 years ago.
Alston reflected on:
- The resilience & focus he's seen from experienced entrepreneurs in the portfolio who’ve taken tough decisions during the COVID19 pandemic to support subsequent growth
- The importance of being human & remaining "in the moment" - especially during such troubling times
- Why capital as a competitive advantage was a blindspot for Alston when he was an entrepreneur and why he feels this continues to hold back many technical founders
- The importance of having a funding “roadmap” as well as a product roadmap
- His view that tech founders rarely create truly unique solutions - they rarely create a category from scratch